Sunday, February 11, 2007

web two point izzzoooo (aka 2.0)



interesting video on Web.2.0

a rant spinnerty getting short-changed at a dj gig:

"i mean, we used to play gigs all the time in college for free. i'm pretty sure we got short changed for all the business we brought Barfly, but we did it. and i dont think we did it for just 50 bucks a night just because we were "down" and loved music, i think it's because we wanted the experience and for us it was more important to connect and influence people. But then again,when you're reliant on the gigs as a form of income it's a completely different story. I think you end up approaching dj-ing in a different way. So when you have been promised a certain amount at the end of the night and get short changed, I feel like it's no longer about how "down" you are or how much you love music, it's about unprofessional behavior and bad business ethics. I don't think by compromising you proved how much you loved music, and perhaps you did get played. But there's nothing you can legally do in those situations unless a contractual agreement was signed. That's why the music world often times creates shady business practices. And I think thats what contributes to why good artists and good people often times get focked from a business standpoint.

But then again......does it matter how much you get paid if all that matters is the music?"

No comments: